Thursday 12 September 2013

Game On!

Its almost time for the NHL pre-season, and you know what that means?

NHL 14 is here!

Yes, I am a huge fan of EA's NHL series. I've played pretty much every title since NHL99, and still try to boot that one up on my computer, for old times sake.  I'm usually the first person in the summer-time to admit that "the updates aren't really that different from last years and I probably wont buy it", but I usually end up getting the game anyway, or at least sharing a copy with a friend.

So for today's topic, I thought that I could name the top 50 players in NHL 14 by player rating.  EA is usually pretty good with player ratings, but every year there's a few players who seem to get misplaced, badly.  Remember in 2006 when Robyn Regher was a 95, or something like that?  They tend to over-sensationalize the playoff heroes, and demote the defensive players in the game, with a few exceptions (Datsyuk).

Anyways, lets have a look:


50. D. Girardi (NYR) – OVR 88
So brief note, to make this list, you have to be better than Dan Girardi. He wouldn't have been the first name I thought of, but it's not a total shocker either.
49. J. Voracek (PHI) – OVR 88
48, M. Pacioretty (MTL) – OVR 88
Pacioretty I'm actually surprised isn't higher on this list.  He's not a very glamorous player, I guess. But he has one of the best hands in the league, and also one of the fastest skaters.
47. D. Byfuglien (WPG) – OVR 88
Would probably be in the mid-90's if he could just stay in shape. Speed is a killer to his rating, but what can you expect from a guy this big. I'm glad EA actually gave an enforcer a good rating for a change.
46. D. Doughty (LAK) – OVR 88
45. P. Sharp (CHI) – OVR 88
44. J. Benn (DAL) – OVR 88
I'm one of the few people that think Benn is just slightly overrated. He will be an 88+ player, but he's not yet, in my eyes anyway. Looking ahead, is he as good as Staal and Getzlaf? Umm...no.
43. R. Getzlaf (ANA) – OVR 88
42. J. Carter (LAK) – OVR 88
41. E. Staal (CAR) – OVR 88
40. J. Spezza (OTT) – OVR 88
Spezza is really underrated in my eyes. He's one of the best playmakers of the last decade, and if he could have a healthy season next year, I have a slight feeling he could contend for the Hart next season.
39. J. Neal (PIT) – OVR 88
38. P.K. Subban (MTL) – OVR 88
On any given night, Subban is either a 85 player or a 95 player. If he was more consistent  he could become an elite defenceman.
37. T. Hall (EDM) – OVR 88
36. P. Kessel (TOR) – OVR 88
35. P. Kane (CHI) – OVR 88
Kane < Seabrook? I love Seabrook, and have said some big things about him in the past. But 1v1, Kane would win 9 times out of 10.
34. E. Karlsson (OTT) – OVR 88
Strangely for EA, they overlook his offensive talents and focus more on his defensive game with this rating, and I actually agree with this.
33. B. Burns (SJS) – OVR 89
Since when?
32. N. Kronwall (DET) – OVR 89
He's huge for Detroit. I wasn't expecting him to be up here, but I'm glad he is.
31. B. Seabrook (CHI) – OVR 89
Again, love Seabrook, but is he really better than Kane, Staal, and Getzlaf? I'd have him at ~85.
30. P. Rinne (NSH) – OVR 89
The first goalie I've come across so far. At quick count, he's 4th according to EA. That seems fair to me.
29. K. Letang (PIT) – OVR 89
28. H. Sedin (VAN) – OVR 89
Would it be taboo to say Henrik should be higher than Daniel? Just asking.
27. D. Sedin (VAN) – OVR 89
26. C. Perry (ANA) – OVR 89
25. L. Couture (SJS) – OVR 89
He's one of the best shooters in the game.  Unfortunately, the other flaws in his game have me thinking this is somewhat too high for him.
24. M. Hossa (CHI) – OVR 89
I'm gonna say he needs to be higher.  For the last 5 years or so, how significant has he been on strong playoff teams?  And how much did that team miss him if he was hurt? One of the most dynamic players in the league.
23. P. Bergeron (BOS) – OVR 89
See above, except just for one team. Should be higher.
22. Z. Parise (MIN) – OVR 89
21. A. Kopitar (LAK) – OVR 89
20. J. Tavares (NYI) – OVR 89
19. J. Thornton (SJS) – OVR 90
I've heard quite a bit of discussion over Jumbo Joe's rating, saying its too high. He can hit and pass better than most of the guys on this list. Deserves AT LEAST 90.
18. M. Gaborik (CBJ) – OVR 90
17. R. Nash (NYR) – OVR 90
90 seems fair up to this point, but I have a feeling he's going to really shine in New York this season under AV.
16. C. Price (MTL) – OVR 90
3rd best goalie? Okay sure. Just as good as Lundqvist, but a little more shaky at times. 
15. A. Pietrangelo (STL) – OVR 90
He's good. He's not 90 good.
14. H. Zetterberg (DET) – OVR 90
He's good, he's better than 90 good. 
13. C. Giroux (PHI) – OVR 90
12. D. Keith (CHI) – OVR 90
11. H. Lundqvist (NYR) – OVR 91
So theoretically Lundqvist and Quick are tied for the best goalies in the league. I think I'd knock Quick back 1 point, or give King Henrik an extra point, but I say he's the NHL's best goalie right now.
10. J. Quick (LAK) – OVR 91
Read above.
09. R. Suter (MIN) – OVR 92
Is Suter the 3rd best D-man in the league? Maybe, but I don't see it. I see him around ~89.
08. S. Weber (NSH) – OVR 92
Fairly the 2nd best defenceman in the league.
07. J. Toews (CHI) – OVR 92
06. E. Malkin (PIT) – OVR 92
I'd say he deserves an extra point or two, just from how dynamic and dominant he is as a player.
05. S. Stamkos (TBL) – OVR 92
I almost want to say he deserves to be higher, but I don't know if he was helped by the play-making wizard in St. Louis, or if Stamkos was the one who made St. Louis look good. Either way, 92 is fine.
04. Z. Chara (BOS) – OVR 94
Toe-to-toe against Ovie for 3rd? I agree with this 100%.  He is a monster player, the league's best defenceman by far, and one of the best leaders in the game right now, because he leads by example.
03. A. Ovechkin (WSH) – OVR 94
While I'm saddened he got beat out by Crosby, I understand where EA would have given Crosby and Datsyuk a point where Ovie got none.  However, if Washington did more in the playoffs, I think he would have topped this list, seeing how EA always seems to trend towards the players on successful teams.
02. P. Datsyuk (DET) – OVR 95
01. S. Crosby (PIT) – OVR 95
So we can't say who is better on the ice between Crosby and Datsyuk.  That is a very fair statement, both are dominant players in the game.  While Crosby is a bit better of a playmaker and goal scorer, Datsyuk is undeniably better defensively. I would also argue that, if Datsyuk's linemates were equal to Crosby's, than Datsyuk would likely be the better player. But it's too close to really call. Now that they're conference rivals, maybe we'll get a better indication of that this year.
*********************************************************************************
One thing that strikes me odd in this ranking is that, unlike Madden, no one has a perfect rating. At first, I was kind of offended, but it does make sense on 2nd look. Crosby, while near perfect offensively, isn't perfect defensively. Datsyuk, while being the best 2-way player in the league, doesn't have the aggressiveness as one would expect from a "perfect" hockey player. 
Still, the parity of the players in the game is something extremely notable, compared to other sports.

So thats my post for today, if you have any comments on the player's ratings or my take on them, please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment