Wednesday 4 September 2013

The Best Day In Hockey Since The Lockout

Sarcasm aside, good lord! What a day it has been.  Sure, the only thing that brings this blog back to life is a jersey reveal and a front office rumour, but thats enough for me to start writing again.

Seriously I do apologize for the lack of writing done the past few days, I've been camping, getting ready for my next semester of college, and finding away to get myself sick.  With that all taken care of (besides the sick, but the meds keep me awake enough to write.  Its a joke, really), I'm back to writing about hockey, and what a day full of things to write about!

First of all, Buffalo FINALLY unveiled their yellow 3rd jerseys for the upcoming season.  The picture that follows comes with a warning: It is a very graphic, offensive image, and reader discretion is strongly advised:

(image from Icethetics.com)


As Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson would surely say: What in the bluest of blue hell is this?

Where do I begin?  

1) Yellow on front, Blue on Back

Is this in some way supposed to be a cape?  A cape is the only way I justify having two different colours front and back.  A cape would be childish, unprofessional, and only slightly worse of an idea than the whole Buffaslug theme.  Alas, tis not a cape.  It doesn't even look like one.  So why?  Are we talking the Barry Melrose of jerseys? Business yellow in the front, party blue in the back?  Even the Melrose mullet couldn't make this jersey look better, which is hard to say.

2) You don't say...

One thing that irks me is the name "Buffalo" on the front of the jersey.  I don't like wordmarks on jerseys as a general rule, but classic college-style marks can give a good retro look.  This makes it look like a football jersey.  If the name isn't a main part of the logo, then don't include it on the jersey, I think everyone knows where this patchwork came from.

3) Letters and Numbers

At least the TV numbers and the main number match, but that is the only thing going good for this jersey now.  The numbers and nameplate don't match in colour, or style, or possibly font. Why?  This jersey is literally giving me the idea that several designers made parts of the jersey, and they just put it all together.  Not to mention that they look huge on the jersey, something most hockey players hate and most designers cringe upon seeing.

4) Silver

Silver as new colour on logo? Subtle and reasonable.  Silver as cuffs? Kind of strange but doesn't look bad.  Silver line dividing the two sides, and standing out awkwardly even in the silver cuff? What the hell man.  Patchwork I tell you.  It would make more sense if they did this, and went around the whole yoke too, but they didn't.  It just stops at the top of the shoulders.  Why???  And although it isn't a major complaint, I don't see any point in the silver in the bottom of the back either.  It adds nothing to the jersey other than making more of a coloured mess.  And while we're on the topic, what is with the silver in the bottom portion of the collar?  It looks tacky (matches the rest of the jersey in that regard) and seems to be insignificant.

In all, the only thing that is remotely cool about these jerseys is that they at least kept the old logo, and the hanger-effect thing, where it reads "Excellence" with above it (probably can't read it) reading "Belief Commitment Character Discipline Trust".  This is something that no jersey really has, and is actually classy, and not too out of the box.

But honestly, a box is maybe where this jersey belongs.

*********************************************************************************

While I'm ranting, I've heard rumours that my beloved Flames are looking into Brian Burke's services.  This alarmed me in first, but I think good can come from it.  One, how much worse can the Flames really get?  I mean, really?  The only moves that could harm the team further in any way is either getting rid of Sven Baertschi, or getting rid of Cammalleri for someone other than solid young prospects or a better, solid vet.

Burke also has the uncanny ability to make a really good young team, and keep them unsuccessful until he leaves, so with the young foundation Calgary has started, one would hope that after Burke comes and goes, he'll leave a good team behind him.

However, in the meantime, I'm very scared for my Flames if this happens to come true.  While Burke can manage to get a good young team together, it takes a long time for him to do it, and I think the fans have been waiting long enough.

Mind you, it has to be an improvement.  Feaster traded half the team away, fiddled around with many young players without giving them a shot they deserved with the big team, made some bad management decisions, etc.  Last year at the trade deadline, groundhog Feaster popped out of his GM office and couldn't see his shadow, nor the players he left behind, and thus announced 6 more years of no spring hockey.

Okay, that last part may have been harsh and over-dramatic, but its a frustrating time to be a Flames fan for sure.

*********************************************************************************

Well if I haven't offended you or scared you enough to stop from getting this far, congratulations, and thanks for reading.  Its good to be back, and I'll really try to keep up with my writing, especially with the season being near.

And by the way, there is a new poll on the right-hand side of the blog, pertaining of course to today's post.  What Sabres jersey is the worst, in your opinion? I'd love to see your answers.





2 comments:

  1. I'm hoping they get rid of Peter Griff, er, Jay Feaster...but I don't think Burke would do much better.

    Also the Buffalo jersey isn't THAT bad....and certainly not worse than the Buffaslug one...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burke probably won't do much better, but can he do much worse?

      And if you take off the logos, at least the Buffaslug jersey looks like a hockey jersey lol. And you've heard me rant about the Buffaslug enough times as it is :P

      Delete