Friday 6 September 2013

Nike, Staaaaahp (Part 2)

I didn't think my rant on the Olympic jerseys was going to garner it's own series, but here we are.

Although it's only speculation to this point as to whether or not it is the official Canada Olympic jersey, a picture was revealed yesterday with potential Canadian captain Jonathan Toews wearing what appears to be Nike's next attempt at Olympic hockey design.

3rd time isn't the charm, Nike.

Yes, I know, another rant on jerseys. Lately that is all I've been talking about. Its a slow off-season news wise, but jersey reveals have definitely taken over. With a few more NHL and apparently more Nike Olympic jerseys left to be revealed, its probably going to continue until preseason.

But right now, lets just take a look at what our nation will look like on the ice in Sochi:


Alright, so right off the bat, I'll say its much better than the American ones, about on par with the white Russian double-dragon one. 

What I like: Simplicity on the chest. Canadian maple leaf on white background stripe, with the word Canada below.  And one one arm, there is a Canadian flag, subtle but patriotic. I like it so far.

What I don't like: Sadly more than what I like. First, as if I didn't see this coming, we get another dose of Nike fake laces and glossy shoulder designs (I assume maple leaves). I've already said how cheap and tacky this looks, so I'll leave it as such.

But even worse, and correct me if I'm wrong, but why does one arm have a white stripe pattern, and one arm is blank?  Hopefully a better picture surfaces soon, so we get a better idea of what is going on, but if that is the case, then why has Nike gone to the book of Atlanta Thrasher design tips to make arguably the most important jersey in the world in 2013-14?  I don't like where this is going, but I'll leave it until better evidence is given.

One more thing, although the crest looks nice, the jersey as a whole looks really plain, as if it belongs on a practice jersey. Assuming the priority to keep the maple leaf red on the white jersey, this has the potential to be even more plain and open if they keep the design, unless like Russia they get a whole new style for their white set. I don't see that happening.

Overall, the jersey isn't awful, but if this is truly what Canada will be represented with, I'll be pretty disappointed.

I'll stop ranting for now. I'm thinking talking about either Vegas or Kadri tomorrow, we'll see. I promise no more jersey rants for a few posts at least. Thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment